Monday, February 2, 2009

YAD VASHEM

TO MY PARENTS’ GENERATION OF GERMANS

Before you all leave
I will come
and ask for your shame-
I want you
to show it to me.
With your leathered hands
dig deep into your soul
to where your shame must be.
In the dark age
you danced with the devil
hummed his tune
or simply
just covered your ears.
What am I to do with your shame?
I am your child
and you were good to me
Do not burden me with your excuse
you merely owe me your shame:
hand it to me
so that I may carry it
to Jerusalem,
to the place
where candles burn
like stars
in the mirrored universe.
With your shame on my shoulder
I will walk
'round and 'round
and listen
to the sound of names
the song
of millions
trampled
in your deadly dance
with the devil.


YAD VASHEM

AN DIE GENERATION MEINER ELTERN

Bevor ihr alle geht
Komme ich
Und frage
Nach eurer Betroffenheit.
Mit euren zittrigen Händen
Greift unter die Haut
Die alte, verschrumpelte
Und zieht das Erinnern ans Licht.

Ich frage nicht
Nach messbarer Schuld
Will kein Entschuldigen
Nur will ich
Von euch
Die Einsicht in euer Versagen.
Damals habt ihr getanzt
Mit dem Teufel,
Gesummt,
Geschmettert seinen Marsch
Oder auch einfach nur
Die Ohren verschlossen,
Dem Schrei der Zeit.

Wie kann ich euch Urteil sprechen,
Ich komme von euch
Und ihr ward gut zu mir,
Aber ihr schuldet mir
Euer Wort
Über die Zeit des Versagens.

Auf meiner Schulter will ich
Eure Betroffenheit
Nach Jerusalem tragen
An den Ort
Wo Kerzen
Wie Sterne
Im Weltall brennen.
Dort will ich folgen
Dem Weg durch die Sterne
Und hören die Namen
Der unendlich vielen,
Der Kinder, die ihr zertreten
Bei eurem Tanz mit dem Teufel.

7 comments:

  1. I am deeply moved by this poem

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the image at the end of this poem: the mirrored universe, the juxtaposed points of light and echo of names; the evocation of tramping (militaristic) feet set against the "'round of 'round" of the visitor circling within the children's memorial. It brings back the sensations of being in that place -- but I think you also capture a vivid image for those who haven't.

    Love also this closing image of the darkness--the collective darkness, I think--in a poem that probes that darkness within a generation and the individuals of that generation.

    This is one of my favourites of yours, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is one of the most powerful poems I've ever read. It reminds me of your speech at an assembly (at SHS) on Nov. 11 which also had a profound effect on me (& the audience). Your words become your tears for your heritage.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. annette - i really enjoyed your blog. the first poem especially, is SUPERB !
    and what a great translation of it too. I read it in both languages (alas my German is very rusty;therefore, I would not have understood it all but I understood enough of it to appreciate your excellent translation) - It is very touching and so powerful, the whole idea of collective guilt... your poem lingers on in my mind; it is too profund to be read and forgotten.
    you MUST get some of your poetry published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about you through Aish.com and watched your interview. I wish you personally commend you. I highly respect your open mind and heart and admire your ability to retain such a close relationship with your son, daughter in law and grandchildren. I have catholic grandparents and they were not half as nice or understanding when my mother converted. We now hardly talk. Thank you for giving back to us, the Jewish people, in such an amazing way. May G-d bless you and your family with only goodness, plenty of health, and all that you need.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annette,

    Your words and both beautiful and haunting. This poem reminds me of the words found in Exodus 20 vs.5: "God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation", only your children's children are the ones wronged by the sins of the fathers. One of the most powerful poems I have read.
    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I just watched the video on Aish's website. It's quite an amazing and, as you said, unusual story. My grandmother was born in Germany, Hamburg to be exact. She lost so many relatives during the Holocaust although her immediate family, parents and sisters survived with her. I've always been curious to see her hometown but she said that after having been thrown out of Germany in 1938 (they were considered Polish Jews because her parents were both born in Poland), her neighborhood was bombed by the Allies. After the war, she recounted to me a few times, she and her sisters went back to see what was left and only her grandparents' house was still standing. When they knocked on the door, a German woman answered and let them in. They looked around at the old rooms they remembered so well and then left choked up. They never returned. The woman, my grandmother told me, just stood to the side watching them as they walked around - she never said a word, obviously making some connections about these girls and the home that she had recently moved into. I always wonder about that woman and other German people who were not pro-Nazi, just German. My grandmother always maintained that there were Germans and there were Nazis and that one was not synonymous with the other. Despite that, Europe held fearful memories and she never wanted to return to her native country.

    Thank you so much for sharing your story as it has touched me in a very personal way. It's so moving and it is a story my grandmother would have loved.

    ReplyDelete